This Blog is my therapy … it’s cheap!
I am a mother of two–one boy (21-years-old), one girl (18-years-old), and a writer. Life recently took a drastic turn for me. My longtime-separated, soon-to-be ex-husband, Christopher, finally moved out of the house (I was contemplating dynamite). With my son, Kirk, away at college, that leaves my daughter and I alone in the house. (Now I can finally clean without having mess-in-minutes, woot!)
My daughter, Rory, has a Mitochondrial Disorder, an energy metabolism disorder, which has required over 100 hospitalizations during her lifetime, plus therapies, doctor appointments, medications, and multiple medical procedures even at home. I have been a very busy stay-at-home mom for over 19-years.
Now, life is leading us down an unfamiliar and sort of scary path: Divorce, Child Support, Spousal Support, legal territory never before traversed by us. When Christopher moved out, he cut us off from all support, even Rory. And so the crazy whirlwind of applications, document gathering, phone calls and meetings with state and county agencies began. Not fun.
Rory and I are strong. We will get through this. We will be fine. And we will blog for therapeutic happiness (check out Life With Rory). Luckily, I have Luke. He is a real man with a great sense of humor, and he is amazing to me and my kids.
This blog will be a varietal smorgasbord of topics. Let me know if you have any suggestions for topics, I would love to hear from you.
12-Things you should know about me…
- I love to sing Karaoke! Actually, this is how I snagged Luke. I wanted to sing so badly, but was too shy, so I would sit at my table singing along, flipping through the karaoke catalog, and never getting up on stage to sing. My behavior intrigued him. Luke happened to be there the night I took the stage for the first time, all full of nerves and shaking. My first song, Lights by Journey; I guess I did well (they asked me to sing Don’t Stop Believin’), and we became fast friends. He pursued me for nearly 3-years before I finally came to my senses and began dating this wonderful man.
- I have a new affinity for gardening thanks to Luke. (He grows the most amazing roses! I’m a lucky girl.) This year, we not only have the roses and a vegetable garden, but we have started an herb garden. Yeah for me, I love fresh herbs for cooking.
- Pumpkin Carving! It is a major passion of mine to draw patterns and carve them into pumpkins. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. Check out my Pumpkin Carving Page.
- I have bird minions. Yep, they seem to like me. They are a black and white bird that looks like they are wearing tuxedos; that’s why I call them Tuxedo Birds, but they are really Black Phoebes. They come around Luke’s house looking for me, and get very upset if I have not been around. They love to dive bomb, loop and soar, and even come right up to the open front door and chirp at me.
- Old movies, especially musicals—LOVE them! Rory and I like to sing and dance around the house to some of the songs. In fact, just recently we scrubbed the entry tile grout while listening to and singing “A Woman’s Touch” from the movie, Calamity Jane.
- My specialty-baking item is Cheesecake, all kinds, any flavor combinations that pop into my head and make my mouth water.
- Coffee! Yes, I’ll have some. I am addicted. I must needs my coffee! Other favorite food items would include, prime rib, tomato sandwiches, chocolate chip ice cream, and Cadillac margaritas or special-blend martinis. (I like to prepare a pitcher of martinis for every holiday…maple martini, salted caramel martini, apple martini; the list goes on with my imagination).
- My favorite number is 8!
- I cook my Thanksgiving Turkey in 2-hours. It comes out beautifully golden brown and moist and tender on the inside—scrumptious. Who wants to wait all day for a turkey to come out of the oven? Not me.
- I have a vivid imagination. It must have something to do with all of the stories/fairy-tales my mother read to me throughout my childhood. Those are special memories. She used different voices for each character and made it exciting and fun. I tried to do the same for my kids.
- I have traveled to 14 different countries.
- I love losing myself in a good book. My favorite books are cozy mysteries, Anne Perry’s Victorian mysteries (Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series and William Monk series), and of course, Harry Potter; but, you will find me occasionally reading a romance novel. Check out these cozy mysteries: Goldy the Caterer series, by Diane Mott-Davidson; Aunt Dimity series, by Nancy Atherton; A Bed-and-Breakfast Mystery series, by Mary Daheim.
Contact / Follow Me…
The best way to contact me is to leave a comment on my blog. I try to respond to every comment. You can also follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest, as well as read my blog on Bloglovin’ .
A Few Reader Faves…
- Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho, A Treasure Find Fer Me
- Master Chef and My Home Town
- Our Little Happiness Jar…
- Funny Flub-ups! – The Caramel Sticky Buns Escapade
- Snazzy Snapshots – In The Garden
Check out these Amazing Pages…