This Blog is my therapy … it’s cheap!
I am a mother of two–one boy (21-years-old), one girl (18-years-old), and a writer. Life recently took a drastic turn for me. My longtime-separated, soon-to-be ex-husband, Christopher, finally moved out of the house (I was contemplating dynamite). With my son, Kirk, away at college, that leaves my daughter and I alone in the house. (Now I can finally clean without having mess-in-minutes, woot!)
My daughter, Rory, has a Mitochondrial Disorder, an energy metabolism disorder, which has required over 100 hospitalizations during her lifetime, plus therapies, doctor appointments, medications, and multiple medical procedures even at home. I have been a very busy stay-at-home mom for over 19-years.
Now, life is leading us down an unfamiliar and sort of scary path: Divorce, Child Support, Spousal Support, legal territory never before traversed by us. When Christopher moved out, he cut us off from all support, even Rory. And so the crazy whirlwind of applications, document gathering, phone calls and meetings with state and county agencies began. Not fun.
Rory and I are strong. We will get through this. We will be fine. And we will blog for therapeutic happiness (check out Life With Rory). Luckily, I have Luke. He is a real man with a great sense of humor, and he is amazing to me and my kids.
This blog will be a varietal smorgasbord of topics. Let me know if you have any suggestions for topics, I would love to hear from you.
12-Things you should know about me…
- I love to sing Karaoke! Actually, this is how I snagged Luke. I wanted to sing so badly, but was too shy, so I would sit at my table singing along, flipping through the karaoke catalog, and never getting up on stage to sing. My behavior intrigued him. Luke happened to be there the night I took the stage for the first time, all full of nerves and shaking. My first song, Lights by Journey; I guess I did well (they asked me to sing Don’t Stop Believin’), and we became fast friends. He pursued me for nearly 3-years before I finally came to my senses and began dating this wonderful man.
- I have a new affinity for gardening thanks to Luke. (He grows the most amazing roses! I’m a lucky girl.) This year, we not only have the roses and a vegetable garden, but we have started an herb garden. Yeah for me, I love fresh herbs for cooking.
- Pumpkin Carving! It is a major passion of mine to draw patterns and carve them into pumpkins. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. Check out my Pumpkin Carving Page.
- I have bird minions. Yep, they seem to like me. They are a black and white bird that looks like they are wearing tuxedos; that’s why I call them Tuxedo Birds, but they are really Black Phoebes. They come around Luke’s house looking for me, and get very upset if I have not been around. They love to dive bomb, loop and soar, and even come right up to the open front door and chirp at me.
- Old movies, especially musicals—LOVE them! Rory and I like to sing and dance around the house to some of the songs. In fact, just recently we scrubbed the entry tile grout while listening to and singing “A Woman’s Touch” from the movie, Calamity Jane.
- My specialty-baking item is Cheesecake, all kinds, any flavor combinations that pop into my head and make my mouth water.
- Coffee! Yes, I’ll have some. I am addicted. I must needs my coffee! Other favorite food items would include, prime rib, tomato sandwiches, chocolate chip ice cream, and Cadillac margaritas or special-blend martinis. (I like to prepare a pitcher of martinis for every holiday…maple martini, salted caramel martini, apple martini; the list goes on with my imagination).
- My favorite number is 8!
- I cook my Thanksgiving Turkey in 2-hours. It comes out beautifully golden brown and moist and tender on the inside—scrumptious. Who wants to wait all day for a turkey to come out of the oven? Not me.
- I have a vivid imagination. It must have something to do with all of the stories/fairy-tales my mother read to me throughout my childhood. Those are special memories. She used different voices for each character and made it exciting and fun. I tried to do the same for my kids.
- I have traveled to 14 different countries.
- I love losing myself in a good book. My favorite books are cozy mysteries, Anne Perry’s Victorian mysteries (Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series and William Monk series), and of course, Harry Potter; but, you will find me occasionally reading a romance novel. Check out these cozy mysteries: Goldy the Caterer series, by Diane Mott-Davidson; Aunt Dimity series, by Nancy Atherton; A Bed-and-Breakfast Mystery series, by Mary Daheim.
Contact / Follow Me…
The best way to contact me is to leave a comment on my blog. I try to respond to every comment. You can also follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest, as well as read my blog on Bloglovin’ .
A Few Reader Faves…
- Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho, A Treasure Find Fer Me
- Master Chef and My Home Town
- Our Little Happiness Jar…
- Funny Flub-ups! – The Caramel Sticky Buns Escapade
- Snazzy Snapshots – In The Garden
Check out these Amazing Pages…
I would love to hear from you … leave me a Comment.
Oh mother…….how could you forget all those times we sang “Singing in the Rain” when it’s pouring outside!!!
I like your blog. Writing is therapy, do it your whole life and you will have at least some peace. I’ll be sure to follow you so I can keep up with your posts. I’m a crazy Gilmore Girls fan too. Quiz me and I’ll prove it. Have fun writing, keep up the good work!
Thanks, Susan. Hmm…a Gilmore Girls Trivia post??? I think it will be in my future. 🙂
I might try it out too.
This is a GREAT about page! Good job! Gives a great history and insight into the person behind the blog and allows those of us who have had similar experiences to really relate!
I really like your blog. The peach cobbler recipe is going to be tried this weekend and I hope how soon you post the turkey one-2 hours is definitely something I want to learn to do. Rory and I share a birthday but I’ll be quite a bit older this time-18 plus ? lol
You betcha… Turkey in 2-hours! I will definitely be posting that recipe. July 6th is a great day, and I wish you a very happy birthday! 🙂
Nice to meet you! I see we have some nice things in common. Will follow…but not in a creepy way. I hope.
I’m looking forward to getting to know you better! 🙂
Hi there! Gilmore Girls was a favorite of mine! Enjoyed getting to know you in your “about” section. I am an avid reader and love cozy mysteries. I have read alot of the Mott Mysteries, love Laura Childs tea shop mysteries. You may enjoy them. Thank you for the visit today! Stamping and card making has helped me so much and relaxes me. Your margarita looks great on today’s post. Can’t wait for 5 pm so I can home and start mine!
I will definitely check out Laura Childs! Tea-time has always been special at our house…my mom loved to do little tea parties with us and I do with my daughter… Hope you have a great day, and enjoy that margarita later. 😉
Followed you on Bloglovin’
I love that opening line! Blogging IS cheap therapy. 🙂
Yes, it is… venting, ranting, de-stressing using your creative skills and imagination, just having fun. What could be better?! 🙂
Well Lorelai as you know, blogging forces me to need therapy but I’m happy you are so accomplished at it. I’ll get there one day. 🙂
Ann, you’re doing great! I love your blog and your wonderful sense of humor. 🙂
All the best, my friend,
Hi Lorelai! I saw your comment over on Facebook and came over here to chat with you! I have read quite a bit on your blog, and my heart is overflowing with compassion for you. Why dont you send me an email at email@example.com? I normally dont put that out there, but it is also listed on my blog, and would love to get to know you better and see how we can link our blogs up in supporting one another! Blessings to you!
~Heather @ The Welcoming House
Thank you, Heather. I love your blog…hence the award nomination. 🙂 I will be happy to email you about Guest Blog spots.
Pingback: Around The World: Travel to Europe and Beyond with Lorelai of Life With Lorelai! - I Am Meg And So Can You
I use my blog / writing for therapy too….stop by some day, when you get the chance! Wishing you the best as you deal with the significant life challenges coming your way. Thoroughly enjoyed reading “about” you.
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
I appreciate the kind thoughts and best wishes, and am thrilled that you enjoyed my “about” page. I will definitely pop in for a visit.
Thanks, Sue. I will definitely stop in for a visit! 🙂
Pingback: 3-Months of Blogging! | Life With Lorelai
I just started a series on my blog called Gilmorisms. It’s where I review movies and books that were referenced on Gilmore Girls. I tie the articles into the show by quoting the show’s use of the reference. I just started it, but a fellow Gilmore Girls fan like you should check it out.
OMG! What a cool idea, Susan!!! 🙂 I am definitely checking this series out. Here’s a link for any of my other readers who would like to do the same…
Pingback: Reader Showcase: Summer 2013 — the thinking closet
Thanks for the Showcase and Link Love! 🙂
Pingback: Around the World with I Am Meg – Guest Blogging Series Begins Tomorrow! | Life With Lorelai
Pingback: Around The World To Switzerland! - I Am Meg And So Can You
Good morning Lorelai. You have been featured on my blog today at http://www.reginaatthelake.com/2013/10/diy-design-just-in-time-for-halloween.html.
Have a great day.
Regina, thank you so much! 🙂
Lorelai, I was going to leave a comment about the can opener, but did not find a place to leave a comment. Anyway, I have never seen one built in the wall. Please keep me updated on what you decide.
This comment refers to blog post: My Kitchen Needs Help
Thanks, Christi. I think this old can opener is pretty unique. LOL 🙂
This comment refers to blog post: My Kitchen Needs Help
Pingback: Explore Huntington Beach, California On A Stay-cation! | Life With Lorelai
Awesome sauce to see that you kept moving without missing a beat after the ex! God made us strong and survivors so happy He sent you guys Luke. I also love to read, I love to watch others karoke because im to shy to get up and give it a go..lol. And I am trying my hand at my first Cheesecake for Thanksgiving!! Wish me luck.
We are happy we have Luke too! I’m glad you found my little blog, I hope you enjoy it. Good luck with the cheesecake…let me know how it goes! 🙂
I nominated you for Liebster Award. Check out myLiebster Award post for more details. I hope you will accept it and have fun 🙂
Let’s Make It Lovely
Ah, thanks, Roopini. Very sweet of you. I accept, and will gladly check your blog for more details. 🙂